Thursday, June 23, 2005

An interview with Oriana Fallaci

Today there is a splendid interview on the Wall Street Journal with famous Italian writer Oriana Fallaci. She talks about her indictment for vilipend of religion by an Italian judge, the decline of Europe (or Eurabia, as she calls it), her admiration for Pope Benedict XVI and other things.

"When I was given the news," Ms. Fallaci says of her recent indictment, "I laughed. Bitterly, of course, but I laughed. No amusement, no surprise, because the trial is nothing else but a demonstration that everything I've written is true."

"The moment you give up your principles, and your values . . . the moment you laugh at those principles, and those values, you are dead, your culture is dead, your civilization is dead. Period."

…I'd like to see the result of the trial. I do think I will be found guilty."
At this point she laughs. Bitterly, of course, but she laughs.

Read it all, for it is worth it.

No comments: