Sunday, April 26, 2009

And Spengler is ...

Spengler”, after years of mystery, has revealed his identity to the world; he is David P Goldman, associate editor of First Things.

Although I am not a religious person, I have followed for years, as thousands of readers have, his brilliant articles and essays on Asia Times; furthermore, we share a great admiration for Pope Benedict XVI.

Why did he use a pseudonym? He tells us:

I needed to tell the Europeans that their post-national, secular dystopia was a death-trap whence no-one would get out alive. I needed to tell the Muslims that nothing would alleviate the unbearable sense of humiliation and loss that globalization inflicted on a civilization that once had pretensions to world dominance. I needed to tell Asians that materialism leads only to despair. And I needed to tell the Americans that their smugness would be their undoing.

Read it all.

No comments: